Monday, August 19, 2013

Scrap Wood & Dollar Store Flowers


I decided this last weekend that I wanted to make something. I didn't quite know what, but something. So I went down to the shed to do some "shopping" where I found some scrap wood that we had. I decided I was just going to make a box. What for? I had absolutely no idea. I quickly got to work!

I cut the piece of wood in half and cut off 5 inch blocks on both pieces (for the ends of the box). And I began staining the wood. I used stain that I already had on hand, which was a dark walnut. As you can see I brushed the stain on then would wipe off.


 
 
Once I was done staining I put the lid back on, however when I went to "hammer" it down there was some stain in the reservoir around the outside which immediately splattered all over me! The pic below is after washing several times. So, unless you are looking for a really splotchy tan look I would suggest checking for this before putting the lid on.


Once I was finished staining and let it dry (about an hour). I nailed the pieces together.


After I had everything nailed together. I realized I had nothing for a bottom. Oh well. I figured I could do that later. So I went to put it on my buffet (which was where I decided to display it while building) and realized that it was too big! Crap! So I did the only thing I could do. I cleared off the top of my piano to see if it would look good there. Nope. Onto the mantle! Well, it actually looked good on the mantle, but I had no idea what to put in it. Which is when I realized I could line it with flowers. So off to the dollar store I went. Now I would not normally purchase silk flowers from the dollar store, because, well, they usually look super cheap. But I wanted to see a finished product. Looking through the store I found the flowers and they had white hydrangea looking stems. So I purchased 7! After filling the box, I decided I was incredibly happy with everything! Because my mantle is not a normal style I had really struggled with figuring out how to decorate it. But thanks to my boredom and the dollar store, I now have a great looking mantle!



BTW the fact that this box does not have a bottom is perfect! I have 2 outlets on top of my mantle and this box fit perfectly over them and even hid the cords for the lamps! I TOTALLY LOVE IT!

1 comment:

  1. Love it ! And the fact that once again, real things happen while doing DIY projects...i.e....stain splatters...lol...

    ReplyDelete