Tuesday, August 6, 2013

My Love Of Furniture



Of all the hobbies I have attempted by far my favorite is refinishing/re- purposing furniture. I love taking something that has long been forgotten and giving it new life. Plus it is far cheaper than buying something new. This week I will show you a piece of furniture that I have admired for quite some time.

I can remember this coffee table for just about ever. It was my mothers. Aside from the fact that is square and not the traditional rectangular shape it is also is glass top with a drawer to show off whatever treasures you might have. I can remember at Christmas mom would always fill it with all the ornaments and memories we created from past Christmases. I always loved looking at all the things she kept from us as we were growing up. So when she offered me the table a couple of years ago I jumped at the opportunity to do the same. However it was a little out of date. So I decided to give it my own style.

After viewing many blogs I found I absolutely loved the way pieces of furniture had been refinished with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, however the price for the stuff is crazy outrageous. So (knowing there are plenty of people who would agree with me) I Googled how to create a knock off. I found a great tutorial here which required only 2 ingredients unsanded grout (you can get enough to last a lifetime at any Lowes for around $10) and regular old flat latex paint (around $10 for the cheap stuff). So with information in hand I was ready to get to work. I was so excited to get started that, to my husbands dismay, I did this right in the living room and yes those are hardwood floors that desperately need to be refinished, but that is another blog post.

(in the excitement I totally forgot a before picture)I mixed my paint and painted the legs and sides of the table.


I then sanded the top down to the grain and stained it with a dark walnut.


Once it was totally dry I distressed it with sand paper and used dark wax to accentuate where I had sanded and put a coat of clear wax all over. I then put on the knew knobs, laid down a tea cloth I had and filled it with treasures of our own!


This is one of my favorite pieces of furniture and I am glad I was able to share it with you!

1 comment: